Learned about preconditioning the battery

Experience operating an electric car for the long range seems to be some kind of street learning experience, with no clear manuals and the user basically on their own.

Of course there are manual entries for all the features of the car but it took me to find another post to understand why my evening charge had less range than in the morning.

This morning for example I arrived at work with 15 miles to spare, after 100.1 miles driving continuously.

In the evenings I generally only get 95. But starting yesterday I learned about how to setup a departure time and let the battery be cooled prior to departing.

I noticed my range closer to 98 miles and didn't want to risk going all the way simply because there is almost no stations south of Corona in a 35 miles no man's land.

Be stuck there and I will most likely spend the night.

I am finding myself craving for stop and go traffic... it eliminates range anxiety as the indicated range quickly skyrockets at the tune of 1.5 miles every mile driven, and I can relax and just steer (and watch for the occasional car cutting me off) while managing automation i.e how near or far I want the car to be to the one it locks on its sensors and how fast the cruise control is calibrated too.

If set at 55 and there is an row of stopped vehicles, the slowdown is pretty dramatic and sometimes scary so I generally adjust to 45 or 35 while in heavy slowdown.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crossing 13.5k and the new normal

How the infrastructure prepares us for the future.

Absolute superiority